Buckets and Birdies

Buckets and Birdies
Co-Pilots for Life: Greta and Mary Katharine

Sunday, February 12, 2012


July 2011


February 2012


What a weekend! We had a magical visit from Greta's Pepe, my dad, after several weeks of missing each other. Dad and Mom were in Hawai'i for a month, and it seemed like forever! Dad came in on Friday night and we spent the majority of the weekend relaxing, i.e., playing, watching the Travel Channel, the Pro-Am at Pebble Beach, and discussing the state of Michigan's economy. Greta had a great time with her Pepe. If only we could find a way for them to see each other once a week.

We also had a special visit from Jamie and Jason Siebert. We hadn't seen Jamie in a LONG time...(see picture above). Clearly, Greta's done some significant growing. She was a trooper getting passed around----Jamie and Jason are HILARIOUS, and definitely brought us up to speed on the current IPS drama (the old school district where I used to work). They have 3 kids that are very busy....it was nice for them to have a relaxing day without three super busy kiddos.

Greta and I have a busy week coming up....Owen is coming to play with us tomorrow, a visit from Ms. Doris (our realtor) on Wednesday for a sewing lesson, and playgroup on Thursday. I suppose this is a great way to Greta back in the swing of things after two weeks of yucky coughs and runny noses. She is definitely acting like her normal, chipper self.

On a different note, I'm becoming increasingly curious about his new Bringing Up Bebe book---it has received tons of buzz, as it is a new book on rearing independent children. While I have not read any parenting books, I am very interested in this subject manner. I'd say the main things I'd like to teach/share with Greta is independence, confidence without arrogance, honesty, compassion, and a strong work ethic. I know this is a tall order, but I suppose with these traits, she can really take on the world as a good person. When I first began to think about getting pregnant, I remember freaking out about the idea of having a nasty, unappreciative, mean child----these kids DO exist. I've taught them in school. It is my worst nightmare. While this was a reality for me, I would usually forget about the environment that they were being raised in---Dave and I did not grow up in households like that, and we didn't create a household like that with our dogs. I suppose we are in good shape so far----I think the biggest compliment I could ever receive as a parent would be someone approaching me, telling me how courteous my children are and how kind they are. To me, THOSE are things that people remember you for-----I also joke that I want Greta to be a high-powered attorney or investment banker and to marry well, but I know with strong personality characteristics and strong virtues, I'm sure she'll be fine. Afterall, I don't have any felonies on my record, I don't smoke crack, I change my bed sheets often, and I brake for dogs. I'm sure these are all things that help rear a good kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment